Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Irony at it's Best

*photo by Christart.com

The other day I was listening to Joyce Meyer. It struck me funny when she said that she thought a person had to be really dumb not to believe in God. It takes more faith NOT to believe He is than it does to believe He does. She's right. Absolutely! One thought lead to another and I got to thinking about how uptight people get the moment you mention His name. Jesus. OH NO! She's gonna preach at us. Really? Beads of sweat begin to pour from their brow. They begin to fidget and squirm and their eyes glass over. It's hilarious really but sad at the same time.

So if I have this right, it's not okay for me to bring up something someone I love more than my own life might have done or said and yet it's okay for you to bring up trash talk. Do you know that I absolutely can't stand a certain substitution for a certain F word? Why do I have to listen to your sermons on all that is wrong with the world as you grumble and complain but come to something uplifting and encouraging and you get all "You've gone religious!" on me?

It's not like I'm saying anything you don't already know. You've just chosen to ignore it, run from it or hide from it. The truth is God has placed the knowledge of Him on everyone's heart. He's that fair but He's also given us the free will to run to Him or run from Him. Trust me. Running from Him is miserable. Been there; done that! Running to Him is freeing and refreshing. It's safe. I'm all for safe especially when I think how I could have been shopping in a grocery store and outside, out of no where, people are being shot at and killed. If it can happen in Arizona, it can happen anywhere.

So what's my point? I just think it's irony at it's best that the very thing you NEED to hear is the very thing you don't WANT to hear and yet you do WANT to hear it. You just don't think you NEED to.

6 comments:

  1. Right on! I just mention HIM anyway, and let them think I'm a fanatic - what's so bad about being a fanatic about the ONE who holds our future???! (and present, and life, and...)
    D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will Amen that Amen!! So true and so sad in the same sentence. I am with you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heard a long time ago from my pastor in Tulsa that when we talk about Jesus we want a reaction. Either good or bad.... it proves that there is still a tender spot in that heart.,. It is when there is no reaction that we know that the heart is seared over.....Soooooooo it is good to see them sweat! There is hope...... Isn't that a wonderful thing...... so speak up! Lets see how they react!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our pastor was reminding us Sunday about the fact that God is the one who does the calling. It is easy to get discouraged when we get the reactions that you were talking about.
    I know this could get into a whole deep subject...but I have to remind myself that it is not my job to convince anyone. Until He opens their eyes to the truth they will never want what we have. Since this is the case....living a life of love and gentleness is so important.
    And you are right..if they have the right to spew their negative words and expect me to listen...then I have the right to let the sweetness found in my heart flow out all over them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So true!! Wish you lived closer so you could attend the Bible Study :l)

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of my favorite Bible verses is:

    Psalm 14:1
    The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

    ReplyDelete