Monday, March 21, 2011

Come on! Get Uncomfortable

*photo by Christart.com
Comfort zones. We all have them but I seriously wonder how comfortable they really are. In my opinion, comfort suggests no motivation for change. Instead of comfort, I believe it's stagnation in disguise. During my long run on Sunday, I was beginning to really struggle with it. I made the mistake of running at a faster pace early in the run instead of leaving it for the latter half when my muscles and lungs were ready for it. Nonetheless I persevered. It wasn't until those words "Come on! Get uncomfortable." came to mind.

I kid you not. I focused in on those two words especially and it propelled me to endure and keep my goal of 11 miles in the forefront. (I made it to my goal but it wasn't without some discomfort.) You're probably wondering who said them. It was Yuri Elkhaim during his Treadmill Trainer Volume 3. I really like this guy. He has a very common sense approach to fitness and wellness. He's determined to see a healthier and fitter people. I like to include myself in that group and that's what I am working towards.

I wasn't going to bring it up here but while I'm on the subject, I have noticed a lot of people don't want to get out of their comfort zones either. For example, I've asked people if they would consider moving. Oh my word! NO! There dadada is here and there datata is over there. Yadayada. Blah! Blah! Blah! Is it any wonder that the Lord has His hands full? People are just plain stuck and they don't even realize it. They miss out on the adventure they could have lived and it's sad really. If I could encourage you at all, it would be as Yuri and I join him in saying "Come on! Get uncomfortable." :) If you're going to change at all. It's the way to go.

8 comments:

  1. :) Good for you on the run! Wonderful! I remember, when I used to jog, that the mind was the most difficult "organ" to deal with. I really had to persist with all the messages it was giving me.
    IMO moving isn't all what it's cracked up to be! But getting out of your comfort zone - YES. Very important!
    D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lately I need someone (my wife) to give me a kick in the rear for me to make a change. Even going shopping somewhere other than Walmart is a big challenge nowadays! :-)

    ~Ron
    *******

    ReplyDelete
  3. Change.....ugh....no really it is hard but so worth it....and congrats on the run...you go girl...

    ReplyDelete
  4. wise advice to get out of our comfort zones, we do get stuck in them indeed. I'm currently out of my comfort zone, but I'm hoping God does use it for incredible growth and/or to further his kingdom.

    good for you for persisting and sticking with the running!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well...there are areas of my life where I have moved out of my comfort zone...but then there are still some areas where I need to get my patoot moving. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great advice!

    Almost five years ago we made a huge step out of our comfort zone and life hasn't been the same since.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, excellent word for the day! In fact, I just heard "Love is inconvenient" on a Rick Warren video.

    But as for being stuck...that's not my idea! I'm begging God to get me out of here. If He doesn't do it pretty soon, I'll have to go without Him...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really need to move out of my comfort zone.... I REALLY do............

    ReplyDelete