Wednesday, April 28, 2010

A Tell-All!


*photo by Christart.com

As most of you are aware, I am a home educator and I love my "job". Before we start our academics, we begin our day with a devotion and either a Study or a book that teaches. Often we have question and answer time that leads us to some very interesting discussions. I couldn't wait to hear how my daughter would answer the question I was about to ask. I was anticipating a response that would let me see Christians from her perspective.

The question? "Tell how Christians you know help each other." How's that for a discussion starter? My! My! My! The possibilities. I am convinced you are now as curious as I was and just wait until you hear her response. She said "_______". It was moments of awkward silence. Nothing! Don't you know I asked?! "Are you sure there isn't someone that comes to mind?". Her reply? "No! Not really." And then there was the awkward silence from my side. It's not often that I am at a loss for words but this was one time. All I came up with was that I was going to blog about that!

8 comments:

  1. I bet by the end of the day a few came to mind...at least I pray so. Hey! There's one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually I asked her today and still the same response. When I asked her why she thought that is, she wasn't sure but thought that's because they probably think someone else is going to help. "After all," she said "it's probably like it is with voting. Each one thinks someone else is going to vote so they don't need to."

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was rather interesting. I think that at times children can miss what we do as a part of our Christian walk and just chalk it up to it being who we are. They can take for granted what is a blessing because they have had it their whole life.

    Minister Mamie

    ReplyDelete
  4. How ironic that she couldn't think of one because earlier this week I was contemplating the fact that I think most people are selfish. I know that many people help one another, but there are some that do not and others that help to make themselves look good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. EEK! To be honest though, unless you're really in a community with lots of Christians, it can be easy to miss b/c most Christian don't toot their horn when they help one another. So maybe she just hasn't experienced that part of it all - like going through a very difficult time and other Christians are there to pitch in (meals etc)?? I've seen a lot of Christians who help those closest to them but don't seem to see their actual "neighbour" in need. Very sad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I understand what everyone is saying and would agree with most of it. However, as her Mom, it makes me question if I have taught her that aspect well enough. Helping others is something she sees me do but I don't bring attention to it either. I need to because otherwise she will think it's me and not the Lord through me.

    ReplyDelete