
I don't know about you but I've been feeling and pondering this thought for quite some time. Please don't misunderstand but sometimes when I look back at how the Lord has grown me up, I wish I had never gone to some of the churches I went to. I don't know that I would have been as legalistic that way. Breaking free of Legalism is such a painful process that it makes breaking free of a drug/alcohol/nicotine addiction look like a walk in the park.
One of the biggest "revelations" I've had lately is that I really don't need to "DO" anything to draw closer to the Lord or have Him draw closer to me other than "BE". It started out with the simple things really but they spoke the loudest. For example, there are mornings when I don't have my "devotions" and later in the day when I find myself searching for something I've misplaced, Holy Spirit leads me right to it. I don't always ask either. He just knows because He is with me always! This means whether I have my morning devotions or not His love is unconditional. Times when I really mess up as a Mother, again, He fixes everything. I didn't have to have my "required Chapters read".
Does any of this give me a license to sin? Absolutely not! God forbid! It just means that when Jesus did it all, He did it ALL. (No one else could either!) Selah! So lately, I've just been thinking, pondering, praying that it's time for Jesus in my life. I'm doing away with all the rules and regulations forced and/or accepted by me and opening my heart and life back up to Him 100% of the way. It's a relief to know it' not based on rules. Just as long as I love Him with all of my heart, mind, soul and strength and love my neighbor as myself. God is love! and Love is God! It's time for Jesus!
AMEN!!! We went through this, putting off legalism, embracing Jesus and coming to understand what grace really is.
ReplyDeleteThe scripture "He who began a good work will be faithful to complete it.." and "For it is by grace are you saved, through faith, and that not of yourselves it is a gift of God NOT BY WORKS lest any man should boast.." tell the story! It is HE who begins the work, does the work and completes it.
A dear friend once saying that he realized everything had changed when he went from thinking "I HAVE to read the Bible" to "Man! I wish I could read my Bible!"
It's scary at first, but then the relationship that He grows is much more beautiful than the one I thought I was trying to foster. :-) I'm actually very happy for you!
Oh yes, yes, YES, Denise it's ALL about HIM and HE is ever with us. I, am thankful for every step of the walk my Lord has seen fit to walk me through, but like you, I have had to "unlearn" a lot of legalism. By the same token, the place I was taught legalism is also the place that taught me to love the WORD with all my heart and to learn to "hide the word in my heart that I might not sin against Him". As we walk further and further with Him He leads, guides and directs as we sort it all out and keep the good and discard the chaft. Part of the journey :o)
ReplyDeletePlacing you life in the hands of the Father.. Born again into the kingdom because of HIS sacrifice. We are to rest in HIM...... HIS work was complete....... Sealed by the HOLY SPIRIT of promise until that day........
ReplyDeleteIt is good to be in the blog a bit this morning...
You know this goes along with what God has been showing me.
ReplyDeleteDuring New Testament times I don't think Paul had a copy of the Bible to read with him all the time....kind of hard when you are lost at sea and shipwrecked. But....God was there...there to remind Paul what had been hidden away in his heart.
And so as I go to work in the morning I ask Him to fill me...to use me to touch the people He created with His love. And as I am leaving work....I thank Him for how evident He was in and through me through out the day. Yes, I need time in His word....but He never withholds Himself from me because I did not open the Bible. Good words girl!
Breaking free of Legalism is such a painful process that it makes breaking free of a drug/alcohol/nicotine addiction look like a walk in the park.
ReplyDeleteAnd I say Amen to that!
When the Son sets you free you are free indeed!!
I think legalism is something that we constantly have to fight against. It's always ready to lurk and call us. It's so easy to look at ourselves and what "we've done" and begin to get stuck in our own little Pharisee-ism...and yes, I've done my devotions like a to-do list that I can check it off after. Grrrrr. But it is important to be IN the Word so we KNOW the Word. D
ReplyDeleteyou would love the church I'm going to currently. My pastor hates legalism and what it does to people and their faith. It truly is all about Jesus and his saving grace! I do have to say, and I do it because I want to do it, I do enjoy my daily devotions and really miss them if I don't take the time. We have been so blessed in that each church we have gone to in our married lives (except for when we lived in Santa Fe, New Mexico but that was a nightmare place), it has been a very good growing experience.
ReplyDeletevery wise thoughts to share,thanks!
betty