Friday, September 3, 2010

A Note from the Hood...


*artwork by Vandi

Motherhood that is! :) What a life! Raising children has got to be the most peaceful, easiest luxury of all. A place where your children take you at your word, listen so well and always, always, always do everything without nearly a grumble or complaint. Their rooms are picked up to perfection, things that are taken out are put away promptly after use and you absolutely, never, ever, ever have to ask them to do anything more than once. Of course, they are always ahead of the game and seem to anticipate what you're going to ask before hand and have it done before you can finish asking. You're probably wondering what color the sky is in my world about now, yes? Come on now!

Now comes the burst of reality! Being a parent has got to be the most challenging of all. If you don't believe me, just ask God! :) I just never knew that the "letting go" was going to be as rough as it is. Necessary? Absolutely! Understandable? Uh huh! But as prepared as I thought I was and was going to be, sadly I'm not. In fact, I'm not even close. Don't misunderstand. I'm very happy that my daughter is becoming a beautiful, young adult but did she have to be so in favor of it so soon? You tell me!

Lately, our conversations resemble more of a debate without a moderator then an authentic mother-daughter conversation. Oh wait! maybe that is a mother-daughter conversation and I'm just clueless in Canada. I missed the memo telling me that children can go from the Jonas Brothers to Classic Rock almost overnight and at a moment's notice. And what's up with boys anyhow? Oh yes, I remember. Boys become real men if they're raised right. It's a good thing my daughter has her dad as an example of what a real man is. She'll be able to spot the counterfeits right off the bat! (No that wasn't a wind storm; it was my sigh of relief.) Oh but then I have God's promise. She is taught of the Lord, obedient to His will and great is her peace and undisturbed composure. Trust me! I have clung to this verse more often than not and I find it more secure than clinging to a palm tree while being confronted by Earl. :) (Keeping it current! hahaha). Seriously though, I would absolutely hate to think what could become of my daughter if she wasn't taught of the Lord. It's a blessing for which I will be eternally grateful. I'm thankful for His Grace and Mercy in our lives.

7 comments:

  1. :) train them up in the way that they should go... Good advice, eh?!
    D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said...and I know the feeling...

    ReplyDelete
  3. there was a season of my life that 99.9% of my prayers was for my (then) teenage son. Those years are tough ones. Just got to trust in Jesus that he knows best and is watching over them. But all in all, it does sound like your daughter is a wonderful young woman

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  4. SHE has been blessed greatly and a firm foundation has been laid.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Trust in the Lord with all your heart, mind and soul... then goodness and mercy will follow you all the days of your life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You made me laugh with you comment about Tim Horton being the Prime Minister of Canada. I needed to laugh.... Thank you.. I know that my heart will heal, but it is just such a shock to lose them both in such a short time.. I did want to take care of Mom.... it was just not meant to be......
    Love your post... as Susan said.. you have laid the foundation...... now you Trust in the Lord

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh...every time I think I am doing better at raising these men of mine I get knocked down and once again recall that it is a moment to moment leaning on Him. Blessings sister. Many many blessings to you. Keep on...do not weary in well doing for your hall reap a harvest in due season if you faint not.

    ReplyDelete