Sunday, October 31, 2010

"I am and there is no one else besides me!"


*photo by Christart.com


The above title is the motto of the Ancient and Modern Babylonians. (The Babylonians represent the world/society.) They were/are a people who were very much in love with themselves. Self-absorbed. Self-centered. Self-seeking. Only the best looking, youthful, intelligent will do; everyone else is a misfit. The motto didn't die with the Ancient Babylonians. It's prevalent today! Everywhere you turn there are commercials, billboards and marketing for the youthful look. It's probably one of the reasons I color my hair. I draw the line when it comes to any sort of plastic surgery. Wisdom only comes with age.

Unfortunately, most people are all about themselves. "What's in it for me?" "What will I get out of it?" Why inconvenience my "self". It's rather pathetic if you think about it. What an empty life! Selfishness is at the root of many a divorce. You'll notice I didn't say all. I agree with Beth Moore as she says that we, as Christians, have been assigned to the world and to take heed because the world is assigned to us. The challenge? Will we affect the world or will the world affect us. It's heartbreaking to hear that some Christians are having Divorce parties. It's also very wrong. Personally, I view it as alarming. There's nothing about divorce worth celebrating. It's the death of a marriage.

"I am and there is no one else besides me" is at the root of poor work ethic too. I'm not singling out divorce in case you were left with that impression. I know people who live a very empty life because they have no time or interest in anyone but themselves and are content living their life that way. There is no harm in wanting to do the best for your employer that possibly can. Yes, even if your employer is an MB (Modern Babylonian). As a parent, it's important to ensure you're not raising an MB either. It can spread like a cancer and wreak havoc in their lives. I could go on I suppose and yet I won't. It's amazing what you'll find if you look for that motto though and see it for what it is. Perhaps you know some Modern Day Babylonians yourself. "I am and there is no one else besides me." Quite the motto isn't it?

7 comments:

  1. Our sermon today was along these very lines, its so true we caught up in what the world has to offer for us instead of what can we offer to the world by living out our faith to show others the narrow way to heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - I've never heard of "divorce parties". Sick. We live in a very depraved world - but for the grace of God!
    D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how the Purpose Driven Life book starts out "It is not all about you". Unless we grasp that it is not all about us and it is all about God and the mercy he shows us and the sacrifice of Jesus with his death and resurrection, we will always life shallow trite lives. I do have to remind myself though that it is not about me because we do get so caught up in that mentality because of our sinful nature. Very wise thoughts you shared with us, thanks!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stopping by to send hugs and wishes for a lovely week ahead.Hugs!
    P.S. thank you for the birthday wishes :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. great post...there IS really nothing new under the sun.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's very sad the society that we live in. There was a study that was done not too long ago that said the Christian divorce rate is the same as non-Christian divorce rate...
    God tells us we must give our best - always our best.. I wonder why it's so hard to do....

    Love to you
    Kelly
    I've Become My Mother

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to agree with Susan...there really is nothing new under the sun.
    So like the priest of old we need to make sure that there is someone posted on the wall to make sure nothing of this world enters the temple.
    the disguises are incredible so we must be careful.

    ReplyDelete