Thursday, October 21, 2010

Where Did My Faith Go?


*photo by Christart.com

This one is difficult to put into words but I am going to give it my best shot. I sometimes wonder what happened to my faith. I'm not sure if I can even pinpoint the point of my digression? (Is that a word?) All I know is that my faith tank (It's really my works tank.) feels empty. I'm thinking it's probably about time too.

When I first came to the Lord, it was because He said "Come to me, all you who are heavy-burdened and I will give you rest." I was beaten up bad by the world to say the least. I did "Come" to Him and He did give me rest. It lasted for a short amount of time because then I got messed up with legalism and works. Religion. Ewww! Even the very thought puts a bad taste in my mouth that no amount of mouthwash and cure. :) Somehow, I had left my "first love".

As a wife and mother, I can get so caught up in all my "doing" of those roles that I lose sight of just loving my husband and daughter. The demands of the day (and theirs) take a toll on me to the point where I'm all "gived" out. I'm reminded that they love me for who I am not what I do for them. What I do for them, is an outward expression of the love I have for them but when it becomes the focus of my attention, it is no longer love but "works". My "looking for thanks" tells me that my motives are no longer pure. GASP! It's true if you think about it.

It's no different with my relationship/love for the Lord. What I do for Him is to be as a result of my love for Him but somewhere things go sour and I think I'm even looking for Him to thank me. Oh come on now! If you think about it, you know this is true. It's like He owes me. He doesn't but that's my warped thinking. It's no wonder I'm a tad miffed when I put forth all my effort and He doesn't even acknowledge it. If it was done in love in the first place...How ironic it is because if I did nothing and I mean absolutely nothing for my family or for the Lord, if their love is unconditional, it wouldn't matter. They would love me anyway. It is and they do.

Bear with me I warned you this was difficult to put into words. My faith is to be anchored in my love for Him. My first love. His love for me has never wavered nor has His faith in me. I cannot say the same for myself. I am to put my faith in His love for me and not my love for Him. Digging a little deeper, I discover that the lack of a relationship and assurance of my earthly father's love has clouded the truth of God's love for me and so that is why it is difficult to relate at times. I tried everything I could think of to get my dad to notice me, accept me and love me. He was too busy finding fault with me and lamenting my birth as he said. Sometimes I think I've tried everything with God but he doesn't require it of me. How does one know that God really loves them for real? It's simple! The answer is and will always be. Always has been too. It's Jesus. :)

7 comments:

  1. ((( hugs ))) I think we all go through this from time to time - we are all at heart selfish and want the claps of others. BUT GOD! :)
    I couldn't read your blog at the cottage for some reason - only other blogs...so here I am now!
    D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard several pastors say that a person's view of God can depend on how they view their father. If their father was distant, they think God will be distant; if their dad was loving, God will be loving and so on. We remember though that God is perfect and loving and forgiving and doesn't disappoint like mortal people do. you would love my pastor, he is so anti-religion; what matters is knowing God and a relationship with him and God has done it all and so graciously gave it to us, that is what is so amazing about him. He loves me for where I am right now, flaws and all. Unconditionally because he sees Jesus. It just blows me away. I don't deserve it but he loves me and is soooo faithful. I always think it is good to go with praise and remembering who is his first and foremost in our lives and remember where we were and where he has taken us and keep trusting and hoping in him. To me that is faith :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  3. A number of years ago I heard someone say "If you never did another thing 'for God' he would still totally accept you." Such a freeing concept to get through my brain! And I get sidetracked, and I try harder and then God reminds me AGAIN that I am totally accepted because of Jesus!

    ReplyDelete
  4. (don't have your email address, but wanted to comment about the comment you left on my blog; do read Revelation and remember it is a book of hope - Jesus comes back; victory - Jesus conquers the enemy once and for all. God's wrath will come on the unbeliever not the believer and if we are here during that time, God will be with us throughout the whole thing, I believe giving us the strength we need and meeting our needs because his word says that and I believe his word. It really truly is an awesome book :)

    enjoy the weekend

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think your musings are gloriously honest and forthright. And I think we all have seasons where we wonder about our true motives and how big or not big is our faith in our God. I know many struggle with God the Father because of their earthly father's failures.

    God has been refining my faith as of late with SO MUCH going on in my life over which I have no control. Having been in "out of control" situations as a child I often like to control...learning so many lessons on letting go and trusting my heavenly father with the lives of these precious sons He has given me. I fight fear and anxiety. And when I have that I, too, question my faith. How can I fear? How can I be anxious? Where is my faith? But it is deepening with each trial and anxious moment I overcome.

    Visiting today my faithful bloggy friends and used to be readers of my blog. God has not released me yet to return to it. Life is very full right now. Glad to see you out there still putting for your wonderfully bold transparent thoughts! Love ya sister always in Christ!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Denise, The Lord knows that we are human and that we are sinners. Remember, we are saved by grace and by the Blood. Sometimes I think you are too hard on yourself. We all have tough times with our faith and God is an all loving and understanding God.

    I've missed being in touch with you. I'm hoping that we can get in touch soon.

    Blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been down the same road...both with the legalism and see God as I see my earthly Dad.
    Bottom line.....if I try and love Him...I fail. It almost always turns into works.
    I think the answer lies in knowing who I am in Christ....and then He gives me what I need to love Him like I should. I know...this could get really confusing. :)
    Reading a great book right now...funny how it runs along these lines.
    The Rest Of The Gospel--When the partial Gospel has worn you out...by Dan Stone and David Gregory
    Great so far!
    Also...finished reading Crazy Love by Frances Chan. I will highly suggest that you go to the website and check it out. Crazylovebook.com

    ReplyDelete