Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Crying in the Diaper Aisle Part 3 and Conclusion?

*photo by Christart.com

I moved into another department at work because the one I was in was borderline abusive. I couldn't handle it. I was too emotional. I decided to try a few more treatments with different drugs. I remember going through all kinds of scenarios of what would be a romantic time to tell my husband we were pregnant, when and if we were pregnant. Each of those special occasions came and went with disappointment. (I know. Glutton for self-punishment. What can I say?)

It was Valentine's day. I made it all the way to Pregnancy Test Day. I went early in the morning for the blood work and then to work. I vaguely recall attending a Valentine's Tea in my department. I was tranferred in my mind to Dreamland once more. When I got home later in the day, the message-indicator light was blinking on our answering machine. I was advised not drink any wine (I didn't anyway.) because the tests, although they came back positive, would have to be verified by the doctor. His was the second message; we were pregnant. I was beside myself with joy. I ran to the drug store, bought a baby bottle and a Valentine's Day card and left it on the kitchen table for my husband. (It would be the first thing he saw when he came up the stairs.) The first person I told at work--BIG MISTAKE--advised me to be careful. I could end up having a miscarriage. Don 't you know I cried? I was scared.

It's been almost thirteen years since that phone call. I have spent those years making sure I didn't take a single day for granted. When it came to changing diapers, I didn't complain. I thought of those who would give anything to change a diaper. We rarely had need for a baby sitter. When and if we did go out on our own (which was practically never) I only let a close friend watch her but when she moved away, we didn't leave her with anyone else.

Please don't jump to any conclusions, yet, although I'm just about done. I promise. I believe from my experience, that anyone who goes through fertility treatments and even adoption shares a common bond. You don't go through what we went through and forget those who don't have a happy ending and not feel their pain. It's not something you ever forget. However, when you are on the receiving end of a miracle(s), you don't forget that your children are miracles either.

I don't know why some folks are blessed with children and others are not. It's certainly not because God loves us any differently. He loves all. What I can tell you is this: don't EVER (even for one second) think that you can't make a difference in the life of a child. You don't have to be a parent to make a difference. With the way some folks treat their children, you may be the only source of real love they get. You're not a monster if you don't want children of your own either. You're honest. I know how it's difficult to understand why some parents gush over their children and don't get me started when a child behaves more like a monster than a child. It's wrong behavior and it ought not to be encouraged. When you see a child display signs of abuse, by all means get involved. The child needs someone to rescue him/her. Last but not least, if you are a parent...well that's another blog entry isn't it? Do you want to write that one?

9 comments:

  1. I knew your story had a happy ending, but it was fun to hear about it and on Valentine's day to find out. How wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Denise,

    I didn't know your story and am glad that there was a happy ending. Your daughter is a very special young lady.

    Take care and enjoy every minute you spend with her.

    Blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your story. I am so glad you were blessed with your precious child!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well.. Valentines day certainly holds for you sweet memories..... What a beautiful ending to the heartache of the process...... I know that each thing that we go through is of course life lessons and sometimes those lessons are a bit hard to endure.. but on this side of the heartache you are able to recall the blessing and most likely touch another life with your sharing.. What a beautiful daughter you have been blessed with and she will grow strong because of you.. You are also a gift to her........ Remember that... some children are not so fortunate to have a mom like you......

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a sweet story!
    No, we don't know why God does the things He does....but I do know that He always has love in mind.
    I know life with Him is about lessons....lessons that will reveal His heart to us if we will look and listen.
    I am glad that God gave you the child He did...and I know that not only did you get a baby but you got a little piece of God's heart.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Blessings to you and your precious daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I did not remember your story. But I remember mine...I went thru months of those stupid? fertility drugs only to find each month ... no.. not pregnant....those were the hardest days..I felt like such a failure.
    Then we chose adoption and God blessed us with the perfect child for us. Who know God knows best....just kidding...of course He does....

    ReplyDelete
  8. I SEW know what you mean- as you know my kids are adopted and I am thankful everyday.... I pray that God gives me wisdom to say and do the right things.... And I know I am a tad over protective.. okay - honestly way over a tad...but they are loves.... my life... they are my gifts from our Father...
    Great post. Love to you
    Kelly

    PS - did you put anything in the bottle?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great story! And your daughter is blessed to have a wonderful mom! As you know, I was able to get pregnant but staying pregnant was another story. So I understand the feelings of loss and the sadness/anger when you meet/see people who take it all (and sometimes their children too) for granted. I've treasured each day too -- it's been a wonderful ride!
    Don't know why it's not posting my blog name...laydownmyidols@blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete