Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Out on a Limb


*photo by Christart.com

Did you ever get the feeling sometimes when you've been asleep for awhile in the midst of an upsetting dream and then you wake up? The only thing is even though you're awake now, you're stuck in dream mode and the upsetting dream has become your reality. I've been feeling like that lately.

I'm going to get a little personal today and I am sure this is a subject most, if not all, of you can relate to. I'm talking about losing weight. Every once in a while I find the need to "vent" my frustration. It's funny. When we talk about weight, we somehow get around to talking about Eve. I'm sure you've had those conversations so we don't really need to get into that now, do we? :)

The thing I find .... interesting?... is how we can go from feeling okay and/or good about the way we look to when we look in the mirror and we ask "Who's that? Man! What happened?" I'm going out on a limb at the moment but if that has happened to you, did you begin to think "Could that be the thorn Paul was talking about?" I wonder how many times I've sought the Lord to remove my thorn. Oh, sorry! I meant weight. I understand unanswered prayer sometimes and I think the "action" on my part needs a lot more action.

Seriously though. When you really think about it and the billions of $$$ that has been spent on the flesh, doesn't it make you wonder "What's going on?"? This is a moment that I don't know whether to laugh or cry. Seriously! I don't. All of a sudden my thoughts lean towards something else Paul said. "Why is it I do the things I don't want to do and I don't do the things I want to do. Wretched man that I am!" "Why is it that when I want a Twinkie I can't find them but when I don't want a Twinkie, they're everywhere?". (For the record, I don't really eat Twinkies but it sounded cute, huh?)

I think I have this thorn to learn humility, discipline, self-control, awareness or perhaps something as simple as "Decrease the input and increase the output". Yes, that sounds more like it, huh?

6 comments:

  1. Yes, I talked about this with my doctor the other day. And I am amazed that each person I talk to has a different oppinion.
    It is a thorn in my side...but not all the time. My output has deffinetly increased and I know it is helping ....I just can't see it like I would like to. Although to be honest I don't want to loose weight by exercising alone...because when I stop the exercise the weight will just come back.
    So trying just to eat less.
    One day these trials will be over. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The "thorn"...never thought about weight like that before...I don't know...
    What I do know is that we will be battling with our fleshly sins until we are glorified in heaven....
    I believe this is just another discipline we need to do....our flesh is NEVER stronger than our spirit ....
    Voddie Bauchaum is a good man. I picked this up from who knows where...I just copy and save it in a folder....just google him and you will come up with lots of good stuff....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am on a journey to lose a lot of weight - to be healthy again... it seems to me that I start new everyday because that "twinkie" keeps calling my name.. So tomorrow, I go again.. This is such a pretty blog.
    Love,
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well sister if it helps to know that you are not alone...you are not alone. Though my weight is ok...the battle of decreasing input and increasing output is always there. And I have such a restrictive diet I must stick to for health reasons and THAT battle is always there! Yesterday, though, I had fudge and a HUGE elephant ear at Cedar Point! Yea! That's right! Uh huh!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never thought about the weight issue being a "thorn in the flesh" but you might have a good point. I know it is an issue I have strugged with for years......and yet as I look back on younger pictures of myself I don't seem over weight at all. What is that?!!!!!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete