Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Sticks and Stones


You know the rest. "Sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me!" Who was the idiot behind this lie anyhow? Oh never mind. I know! There's a lot of power in a name and we don't need to go into detail on that one. There's not enough space on the server for that I'm sure. Names do hurt and very much so. This is the truth. Yes, sticks and stones may break my bones but names will break my spirit.

You don't know me and you have no idea what I've been through. It's probably no different than anything you've experienced yourself though either. No doubt you've called other folks names (prideful, jealous, envious, rude, pathetic, etc.) and they've called you names too (insensitive, judgmental, lazy, religious, etc.). Okay, this is just to illustrate a point and in no way what I am saying about you or that you have said these things about others. It's one thing for folks to say something about you or you to say something about other folks but what about the names you call yourself? Have you ever thought about those? I'm not just talking names here. What about the things you tell yourself you can't do? Why do you say that? Who say's you can't? You do, that's who! It's an obstacle though, is it not?

I'm one of the walking wounded and have never let the Lord in to heal it or to equip me with the life skills necessary to combat it. I've been clinging to the hurt for so long that all that did was cause me to turn on my self. I kept up the abuse where others left off by way of abandonment or rejection. I believe it's time to give it up and give it over to the only One who really can do something about it. There is no earthly counselor that can counsel this one away. I never thought I was afraid to surrender this area of my heart until I decided that now would be a good time. The hurt hinders the Lord to love through me so it's definitely time for a change. Isn't it amazing how answered prayer comes about? I'm looking forward to going through this process because I also know I'll be losing some excess weight in more ways than one. :)

6 comments:

  1. Glad you are being lead to this step of relinquishment. To die to self, even self condemnation, is a very difficult but necessary step. HE is faithful.

    To your comment to my Town Hall blog. Yes, prayer is the main thing, by all means, but we also need to be informed and active in doing something against the evil. Being of the generation that "allowed" (by our inactivity) prayer to be taken out of school in the 60's I have vowed never again to be passive in not standing for right in all matters. My personal conviction.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are all new creatures when we let the Lord in, in so many ways. As one who has been wounded and had a profound healing experience I have learned that it has affected my thinking in ways that are difficult to overcome; but daily with perseverance and the Lord's grace and with the Holy Spirit much progress is continually being made. There are certain attitudes within though that may always be the thorn in my side that I suffer with forever...maybe...I am glad that you are ready for healing. Realizing the need is the biggest step and it is the first. I look forward to hearing how God will do His healing work in you. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow have I been here!
    And I am sure as I continue to mature that God will show me that I still have some things to deal with and get straight when it comes to self talk.
    I know that renewing my mind if of major importance......I think it was Paul who talked about how important it was. Can you imagine what kind of self talk the enemy tried to feed him?
    Day by day girl.....Freedom will come!
    For you and me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a great post. Thanks for sharing this to us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well said and oh "sew" very true. We - especially women are so hard on ourselves. I am constantly fighting myself and for whatever reason having a hard time just releasing it to God....
    thank you - you have a way with words.
    Love,
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete