There's a time and place for regulation and then there's way too much regulation. I'll explain what I mean and then I'm convinced you'll agree. The other day my hubby went out to enjoy some coffee. He wanted a refill so he stood at the area of the counter where you normally would pick up your order. The clerk behind the counter asked him if what he wanted. When he told her a refill, she said he would have to stand in line. It's a line you're familiar with. I call them cattle corners. There was no one in line at the time so he walked over and stood at the entrance. The same clerk then asked him what he would like. What? She didn't remember? I know it's like a scene right out of a movie but it's also a true story.
So last night, we went to a local Ribfest. I was asked to pick up a couple sodas and a beer for my friend's husband. I went to the drink counter and placed my order. I was told I couldn't get beer there and that I would have to go to the other table. I went to the other table to ask for a beer ticket and apparently the corner I stood at was incorrect. I would have to go to the front to ask for a ticket. The front was no more than 2 feet away just on the north side. I got my ticket, went back to the drink counter. When I asked for the soda and the beer, I was told I couldn't buy my beer there. I would have to walk down 5 feet to my left and get my beer there. I guess that's life in a country that, to me, seems like it's one step closer to full blown Socialism. Okay, so this last statement is as a result of this and more red tape stories. So I'd love to hear some of your red tape stories because I'm sure you have them, yes?
OH MY, I can't believe it is coming to this but I'm afraid it will happen more and more. I deal with regulations daily in my line of work and some of it is so unnecessary.
ReplyDeletePart of this is the attitude of "It's not my job!" Where is the word "service". HA. What is that?
ReplyDeleteSusan
That is so ridiclous.
ReplyDeleteSuch a shame and unbelievable. What a world.
ReplyDeleteb/t/w your question regarding what does "t." mean, therapy.
Thank you dear one for sharing. Blessings and hugs. ♥
I can't believe the world has gone so downhill since my generation. The other day I went to buy some items on sale. All of them were the same size and made by the same company. The signs said they were on sale half off the ticked price. One came up on the register as double the price. I asked the teenage cashier why. She said she didn't know and argued with me that was the correct price. I asked for the manager and sure enough, the item hadn't been marked down. This girl continued to argue with me even after I had paid for the items. She was rude and disrespectful. Grrr!
ReplyDeleteLots of red tape here in Canada. No one wants to do their job...just pass the buck.
Hope you enjoyed your holiday. Are you home now?
Blessings,
Mary
You know we went through so much of this regulation and red tape when we were going to build our house in La. Of course it was after the storm and they were trying to make sure things were going to be done right....but still...I felt like my wandering from office to office paying one person here and another person there was just a way of fulfilling someones dream of controlling everyone.
ReplyDeleteComing here and getting a drivers license was more of the same craziness!